Skip to main content

28. Tme: one of the most precious resources




I was waiting on a train around past 6 am! Yep! We make time, even for selfies. See, if we can make time for selfies so early in the morning, surely we can make time for anything we put our mind into.
There's this very common saying that "time is money".Ok, it's emphasis on how important time is - I get it. I really wonder, though, if we realise how precious the time we are given is.

Consider this for a minute: regardless of how you spend your time, you will never be able to get those minutes/ hours back. You can't take that time you didn't spend doing something productive, and add it on the days that you need it the most.

The most fascinating thing I discovered about myself quite recently is how much I always want to keep busy, and how when there are things I need to do, I do them as soon as possible. I'm so fast,  every time there is something to do, I jump to it as if I'm the only person that can do it, as if I cannot do it another time, as if my life will end tomorrow.

Here's a glimpse of what I do on a daily basis: on my way to work and back (on the train and taxi), I'm reading a book or the bible. If I'm not reading, I'm preparing for a social media post on the spot for this blog on the Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Student-talk-blog-For-learners-and-students-496094020519505/) and Instagram (@Simtha.m). If not that, then I'm preparing a post on the Facebook page of the new freelance business (https://www.facebook.com/simthaservices/ ) and on the Instagram account (@mpilopublishing). I'd also do church- related tasks either on my way to work or during lunch,  even after work. When at home, I'd start a blogpost, start/ finish off a sketch or edit written work for a client. Most of the time when at home, I'd rather just chill with my mom and brother, more especially when supper has been prepared and ready. I cannot be busy during that time, because that is the only time, other than weekend, that I spend with them. Otherwise, I'd be busy doing any of the things I've mentioned above.

Where do I have the time to do all these things? I'm sure you can tell from what I've just shared that I make time, and make use of the free time I have. As much as there is time needed to relax and rest, I understand that there is no room for laziness.

I trust you enjoyed that. If there's one thing I'd really love for you to get out of this blogpost is the fact that you can do anything that you put your mind to, more especially if it adds value to your life and the life of others. You can have control over your life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

34. Exploitation at work

When entering into the working world, especially as a student or learner who neither had been exposed to the work environment nor has a mentor to guide them, exploitation may be an inevitable thing to happen: you might accept it before you even recognise it. It’s your first time working. You have this notion that you must impress your boss, to not be problematic, because it’s your first job and you also need a positive reference for future jobs, right? But what happens in an event that you find yourself doing jobs that are not in line with your job-description or what you expected to do? What do you do? Let me give you an example: You are employed to work as a trainee accountant at a small accounting firm to become a Professional Accountant (SA). The training is for 3 years. During your first year, you’re tasked with the following, along with very few accounting jobs: Making filter coffee for the boss Answering the phone when the secretary is not around (twice a

7. Employability: a qualification alone might not be enough - part 1

When I entered university for the first time, graduate attributes were the last thing on my mind. I did not even know what a graduate attribute was. I entered university with the mentality of getting the degree, proceed further to obtain a higher qualification so that I could complete my training and get a permanent job. Apparently, that is not all that is required to be an employable graduate. I only heard about graduate attributes during my second year at university from Mr Rodrique E. George, my then lecturer of the ‘Intensive Reading and Writing’ module. Graduate attributes are the qualities, skills and knowledge that we as students must develop while at university. Some graduate attributes include: the ability to use knowledge to solve problems; the ability to use and apply information effectively; the ability to interact with people from different backgrounds and being able to understand their views, to name a few. There are characteristics and skills that stem from gra